Saturday, June 4, 2011

Blueberry-Almond Oat Muffins

I found this recipe online recently; it's originally from Pampered Chef. I made it for breakfast this morning with just a few changes. They turned out great!

(These muffins are on my "new" china. My mom just passed down the set that she & my dad got for their wedding. I love it!!)



Blueberry-Almond Oat Muffins
Printable version here

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 cup sliced almonds

1. Spray 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray (or use paper liners). Preheat oven to 425ยบ.

2. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Stir in blueberries. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, butter, egg, and extract. Pour into the dry ingredients & mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.

3. Scoop batter evenly into muffin cups (about 1 rounded large scoop). Put sliced almonds in a small plastic bag, and crush with your hand to break up the pieces a little. Sprinkle over batter, then press down gently. Bake 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack; when cool enough to handle, remove from pan & place on rack. Serve warm.

Yield: 12 muffins.

Why I love it? The almonds on top, and the browned exterior, give the muffin a nice crunch, while the inside is soft & fluffy. The oats & blueberries make them a little heartier, but they're still light. They're not too unhealthy for a muffin, either!

Tip- a new product I've been using, and like, is called Baker's Joy. It's a nonstick spray with flour in it. I use it now any time I'm making a cake-type thing. That's what I used for these muffins. It releases the food so easily! I've seen it at most grocery stores, near the Pam.

No comments:

Post a Comment