Saturday, June 25, 2011

Samoas Bars

I found this recipe at Baking Bites several months ago, and was waiting for a special occasion to make it. It's too complicated for an everyday recipe, but when I was asked to bring dessert for Father's Day, I knew this was the one. My husband loves the Samoas Girl Scout cookies (and so do I!). This is basically a big, huge cookie!

It has many steps, and kind of takes a while- but it's worth it to me, as long as you have enough time. I don't have time to write out the recipe now, but you can get it from the link above. *The only change I made was to omit the egg from the crust, as suggested by many of the commenters. I made the crust in a foil-lined pan, which made it much easier to get out. Here are the basic steps to this recipe:

1. Bake a shortbread crust, cool, remove from pan. Mix together toasted coconut & melted caramel, and spread on top of crust (below). Cool.



2. Cut into bars (I did 24 bars), melt chocolate, dip bars into chocolate (works best to use a small flat dish, like the Pyrex one in this picture) & place on waxed paper to cool.



3. Place remaining melted chocolate in a ziploc bag, snip off the corner, and drizzle over each bar.



4. Cool completely, then remove from pan & store in an airtight container. I actually just left mine on the cookie sheets, and covered them with plastic wrap until the next day when I put them on a serving platter. I stored extras in a container. *Note- these work great made the day before serving, and mine were still just as good 2 days later. By 3 days, the chocolate started to look a little hazy.

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment