Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Buttermilk Waffles

I don't often make waffles, because it's so much faster to toast one from the freezer. Lately though, I've started making them a little more. Like most homemade foods, they're cheaper, yummier, and healthier than packaged foods- the only downside is the time they take. The kids like to watch TV when they first wake up, so that gives me some time to get breakfast ready.

I've been using this recipe for a few years. I found it on a blog, and they had adapted it from Cook's Illustrated (no wonder why it's so yummy!). The only ingredient I need to make sure I have is buttermilk, and the rest are things I always have.

The kids and I love these waffles. The outsides are so nicely browned & crisp, and the insides are so soft! The buttermilk gives them great flavor. If you're willing to make a little mess of your kitchen, I know you'll appreciate these waffles. :)





Buttermilk Waffles
Printable version here

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. cornmeal
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, separated
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
Nonstick cooking spray

1. Start preheating your waffle iron. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda. In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolk with buttermilk and melted butter until combined.

2. Clean your whisk and beat the egg white to soft peaks. (I use my handheld mixer with whisk attachment for this part)

3. Slowly add the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding together (the batter will be quite thick). Then add the egg whites and gently fold them into the batter.

4. Spray your waffle iron with some nonstick spray and spread the batter onto the iron. Cook until the waffles are golden brown, about 2 - 5 minutes depending on your machine instructions. (Mine take 3 1/2 minutes) Yield: 4-6 waffles (I double the recipe and get 10)

Freezer: For freezer toaster waffles, leave the waffles golden and slightly underdone,
cool them on a wire rack, wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze. They can be frozen then popped into the toaster for a quick breakfast.

Why I love them? As I wrote above, I love the texture of these- both soft & crispy. Eggo waffles just can't do that!

3 comments:

  1. You can make your own buttermilk by adding one Tbsp. of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of regular milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried it with 1/2 whole wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember if I have or not. I'll try to do that soon & update!

    ReplyDelete