Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Individual Molten Chocolate Cakes

This recipe is from "The Best Make-Ahead Recipe" cookbook by Cook's Illustrated. Not only is this a DELICIOUS, gooey chocolate cake recipe, but it can be made ahead! Even better! After preparing the batter, you can either bake it immediately, refrigerate it, or freeze it.

I can't post the recipe here (because of copyright reasons), but if you go HERE, you will find it. :)





Recipe notes:
  • The version in my cookbook calls for semisweet chocolate (I used chips), not bittersweet as the blog states.
  • The whipping time in step 3 (mixing the eggs & sugar) will depend on the type of mixer you use; a standing mixer will take about 5 minutes, while a handheld mixer will take about 10 minutes.
  • To butter the ramekins- mix together the softened butter & cocoa powder, and brush that into the ramekins (I used my finger to rub it around; I had a hard time doing it with a brush).
  • The whole recipe serves 8, but I've only ever made a half batch. A half batch takes about 4 minutes to whip in my KitchenAid.
  • To store: cover each ramekin with plastic wrap, then foil, and refrigerate up to 8 hours or freeze up to 1 month.
  • Baking times- to bake right away, bake for 10-13 minutes, or until crust is set but the middle is still jiggly. From refrigerated: bake 11-14 minutes, from frozen: 12-15 minutes.
To finish it up, you can either serve it in the bowl or invert it & put on a plate. I've done both, and don't have a preference. Top with whipped cream and/or powdered sugar.

Why I love it? It's pretty simple to make. I had no idea something so delicious & "fancy" could be made so simply. Whipping the eggs & sugar like that give you such a light, awesome texture, plus you get all the gooey chocolate in the middle! The make-ahead directions are great, too. I have served these for company before, and it's fun to have such a great dessert with so little fuss.

Last thing- I don't have actual "ramekin" dishes to make these in, so I use my small (6 oz.) Pyrex bowls, like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment