Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Peanut Butter Energy Bites

I cut this recipe out of a magazine years ago, it was published by Skippy peanut butter, and yesterday I finally got around to making them. I was looking for something a little different than our normal granola bar snack. These are delicious!! They're pretty sugary though, so they're not something I would serve all the time. They're good as a once-in-a-while treat though! :)



(Nutritional information for these found here)

PB Energy Bites
Printable version here

1 1/2 cups O's cereal
1 1/2 cups granola
3/4 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar

1. In a medium bowl, combine cereal, granola, and cranberries.

2. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until peanut butter is melted and the ingredients can be whisked together smoothly.

3. Pour peanut butter mixture over the cereal mixture & stir to combine. Pour mixture into a greased 8-inch square pan and press firmly. Cool completely, then cut into 16 squares. Keep in a covered container (or cover pan with plastic wrap).

Why I love it? They're really easy and kids can help make them. They're also pretty cheap, since I took advantage of the bulk section at my local grocery store. My only critique of them is that they are a bit sugary (next time I'll try cutting down the sugar and seeing if that works), but there are at least some redeeming qualities in them, as opposed to something like Rice Krispie treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment