Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spreadable Butter

Lately I've been using margarine less often. I'm still on the fence about if I believe it's bad for you or not. I know butter tastes better though, and bakes better, so I've been mostly using that. The one thing I hadn't replaced yet was tub margarine, for spreading on things like toast.

Then I found a recipe online for "Spreadable Butter", and it works! (Found here) If you can get butter for a good price, it's cheaper to make this than to buy margarine. I used unsalted butter when I made this, but next time I would probably add a little salt, or use salted butter. I don't miss the slightly salty taste, but my toast-fiend husband does. ;)

Done mixing


Done & ready to chill! It fit in this margarine container, with just a little extra.


Spreadable Butter

2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup water, room temperature

1. Using a stand mixer or electric hand-held mixer, beat butter on high until fluffy.

2. Continue mixing, and slowly add oil. After that, slowly add water. (I turned down the mixer to med. so it wouldn't splash)

3. Pour into a container, and store in refrigerator. It will become set in a few hours.

Why I love it? It's easy, cheap, and tastes pretty good! There are no "fake" ingredients in it. It's a little firmer than margarine, but still very spreadable for butter.

2 comments: