Thursday, May 23, 2013

Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup



A while ago I had come up with a recipe I like for cream of celery soup (since I have one meal I use that for); next on the list to figure out was a cream of mushroom soup recipe!  I try to avoid buying the cans of condensed soup if I can- while convenient, they cost more & have more unnecessary ingredients than I'd like.  Now, I am NOT a fan of mushrooms... but some recipes just aren't the same without this ingredient! (One of our family's favorites is Hamburger Stroganoff.) That's why I puree this soup when it's done cooking, so I don't have to see mushroom pieces when I'm eating.  That's one of the benefits to being the cook, right?  You can make food exactly how you want it!

When it's warm, this soup isn't as thick as the kind in a can, but that hasn't been a problem when I've used it in recipes.  It does thicken when it's refrigerated, though.  I make this size batch even when I just need one can's worth, and I freeze the other half.  Enjoy!

The diced mushrooms & onion











Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
Printable version here

Yield: The amount of 2 small (10.75 oz.) cans

3 tbsp. butter
2 crimini mushrooms, diced
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cups beef broth
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add diced mushroom & onion and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).

2. Add flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly (mixture will be thick).  Cook for 1 minute.  Gradually add broth & milk, whisking to keep smooth.

3. Bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly. Simmer for a few minutes until thickened. Add salt, garlic powder, and pepper.

4. Optional: To make a smoother soup (or to help disguise the mushrooms!), puree the finished soup in a blender.

Notes:
-
Soup can be frozen for later use. It will separate after thawing. To fix this, I heat the thawed soup in a small pan, and whisk occasionally. By the time it is heated through, it is back to normal.

Why I love it? Not only is it cheaper and healthier than store-bought condensed soup, it is infinitely more flavorful!  Plus it just looks like something I'd want to eat- it's smooth & creamy, not jiggly! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment