Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hamburger Stroganoff



Here's another recipe I've made dozens of times. It's not fancy, but it's yummy and my whole family likes it! :) 

5/2013 Update: I still make this quite often for my family, although now I use homemade cream of mushroom soup

Hamburger Stroganoff
Printable version here

1 lb. lean ground beef (or less; I typically use 3/4 pound)
1/2 small onion, chopped (or however much onion you like)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of onion)
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup. sour cream
Cooked noodles

Brown ground beef & onions; drain. Stir in soup, milk, butter, salt & pepper; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes. Uncover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Heat through. Mix with hot noodles.

One nice thing about this recipe is that it can be frozen. What I do is make it as written, but stop before putting in the sour cream (because it doesn't freeze well). Freeze the mixture in a ziploc bag. When you're ready to use it, thaw, heat in a saucepan, then add the sour cream once it's hot. Add to noodles, and voila! Dinner in like 5 minutes! (plus time to cook the noodles, but that's easy) I just thawed a bag last night for our dinner; here's what it looks like:



Why I love it? It's inexpensive, easy, tastes good, and requires a small number of ingredients.  I also like that it can be made ahead and frozen!

No comments:

Post a Comment