Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tangy Italian Dressing


I love making my own salad dressing. It's easy and it tastes good (usually better than store-bought), but one thing I really love is that my fridge isn't cluttered with numerous bottles of dressing. I don't need to have 5 kinds on hand, because I can just make them whenever I need a certain type. The homemade kinds last at least a couple weeks.

This dressing is supposed to be a copycat Olive Garden recipe. It's not exactly like theirs, but I think it's pretty close! It's Italian flavored, and has a definite tang to it (from the vinegar & lemon juice- feel free to use a little less of those ingredients if you don't want it tart). This is exactly how I make it though, and I love it!

(It's based on this recipe from food.com)

Tangy Italian Dressing
Printable version here

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. corn syrup
1/4 cup grated hard cheese- such as Parmesan, Asiago, or Romano
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. parsley flakes (dried or fresh)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a blender until well mixed. If it tastes too tart, you can add a little extra sugar or corn syrup. (Note- it doesn't taste as tart on a salad as it does by itself.)

Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator.

Why I love it? It's easy to throw together, and it tastes really fresh. I like it better than an Italian vinaigrette- I like that it's creamy and tangy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I'm definitely going to make this when we get back from our trip. As a bonus, I already have the Asiago cheese.

    ReplyDelete