Monday, October 10, 2011

Buttermilk Blueberry Coffee Cake

The other day I was trying to find a use for my buttermilk before it went bad, and I found this recipe by searching allrecipes.com. It had great reviews, and it did not disappoint! I reduced the amount of sugar a little bit. I will definitely make this one again- maybe even tomorrow!





Buttermilk Blueberry Coffee Cake
Printable version here

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Topping
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2 to 3 tbsp. butter

1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Grease and flour an 8x8 inch pan (or a 9-inch round pan); set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, followed by the vanilla.

3. Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan.

4. In a small bowl (or food processor), combine remaining flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of batter.

5. Bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Set pan on a wire rack to cool. Covered with plastic wrap, this stays fresh for several days. Reheat leftovers if desired.

Why I love it? It's fairly easy, and I normally have the ingredients on-hand. The kids and I all loved it (except for my picky eater, who said it wasn't good, even though he didn't even try a bite!). It's not too bad health-wise, for a breakfast cake! It's just soft, tasty, and I like the slight tang from the buttermilk.

No comments:

Post a Comment