Saturday, April 5, 2014

Balsamic Chicken Noodle Bowl


A few months ago I went to a home show, and one of the products I came home with was this Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar (picture & link below).  I wasn't sure what to do with it, but my mother-in-law offered to buy me a bottle, so I obliged. :) I searched my favorite food blog for recipes that use balsamic vinegar, and found this beauty.  I'm HOOKED!  The key ingredients: chicken, red bell pepper, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and feta.  Delectable!

This recipe is pretty adaptable.  What's written below is exactly how I like it, after tweaking it a tiny bit each of the 6 or so times I've made it.  You can certainly add or omit ingredients according to your family's preferences.  Mel (the creator of this recipe) says that when she doesn't have shredded chicken already prepared, she cooks the diced chicken along with the red peppers.  I tend to cook the chicken while I'm cooking the rest of the ingredients, using this amazing method for shredded chicken.  Enjoy!

OMG Olive Oils

Balsamic Chicken Noodle Bowl
Printable version here

10 ounces spaghetti noodles
1 red bell pepper, diced
 4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil 
4 tablespoons good-quality balsamic vinegar (I use 1/2 regular balsamic & 1/2 raspberry balsamic)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil (or 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 1/2 cups shredded or cubed mozzarella cheese (or Monterrey Jack)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. Heat a large pot of water to a boil.  Cook the noodles until just tender.  Drain.

2. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small pan.  Add red pepper and saute for a couple minutes, or until crisp-tender.  Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds, then remove pan from heat.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and basil.  Add cooked noodles, pepper/garlic mixture, shredded chicken, and mozzarella cheese.  Toss ingredients together with tongs or a pasta spoon, making sure the dressing coats everything.  Top each serving with feta cheese.

Serves: 5-6

Recipe source: Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Why I love it? It uses ingredients I tend to have on-hand (including my Costco-sized container of feta), and comes together fairly quickly- especially if the chicken is already cooked.  The flavors and textures work wonderfully together.  I also love that it makes good leftovers!  This makes enough for my family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) with about one serving remaining. 

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Just to clarify, did you use regular balsamic vinegar or the raspberry kind? I'm assuming regular.... :-) I'll be trying this in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I used 2 tbsp. of each- regular balsamic from WinCo and the raspberry balsamic I got from a vendor at the home show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I just went back and looked at the recipe and I see it's written right there!

    ReplyDelete