Monday, December 9, 2013

Cinnamon Pecans


This is a recipe I pulled out of a MOPS magazine several years ago.  It has been sitting in my recipe binder ever since.  Had I known how easy & delicious it was, I would have made it many times by now!!  I made it recently to give as a Thanksgiving gift to my kids' Sunday School teachers (plus a thank you gift to the family members who hosted Thanksgiving).

They are really quick to make- about 5 minutes of prep, then just an hour to bake them in the oven.  I packaged them in half-pint (1 cup) canning jars, and was able to get 6 jars' worth of pecans.  I'm not sure exactly how long they stay fresh, as ours were gone within 4 days- but I think about a week should be fine.  The recipe cost about $7.25 to make, and including the jars, it still came out to under $2 per jar.

The pecans are crunchy, slightly sweet, and cinnamoney.  We ate them by themselves, but I think they would also make a great salad topping!  Everyone who ate them loved them!

Cinnamon Pecans
Printable version here

1 egg white
1 tsp. water
1 pound pecan halves
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 250º.  Beat egg white and water until frothy.  Add pecans, coat well.  In a small bowl, mix sugar, salt and cinnamon.  Add to nut mixture and mix well.  Spread on large, flat, buttered or greased pan (or a pan lined with parchment paper) and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Cool completely on pan before packaging.  Store pecans in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: about 6 cups

Recipe source: MomSense Magazine Nov/Dec 2010

Why I love it? They are easy to make, delicious, and make a great gift!

1 comment:

  1. These look AND sound delicious! I might have to make them soon.....real soon!

    ReplyDelete