Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Blueberry Spinach Smoothie

 

Today I'd like to share one of my favorite smoothie combinations.  I make this in my Vitamix (a super powerful blender), but it would also likely work in a regular, good blender.  One of the main reasons why I bought the Vitamix 6 months ago was to get my family to eat more fruits & veggies.  It has worked!!  Two of the ingredients I almost always include in our smoothies are fresh spinach and frozen blueberries (from Costco).  I round it out with a few other fruits & liquids, and the result is this fantastic drink!  Not only do I love it, but the kids love it too!!

Two other things to note about this recipe- one is that I don't measure ingredients when I'm making a smoothie.  No need to make more dirty dishes!  So the amounts listed below are approximate.  Also, this makes one large smoothie, or a couple smaller servings.

Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
Printable version here

1 small banana (frozen if possible)
1/2 cup liquid (I use about 1/4 cup each juice & water)
1/3 cup diced pineapple (fresh or canned)
1 cup baby spinach (about one large handful)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 tsp. honey
1 kiwi, peeled
1/3 cucumber, cut into chunks 
Yogurt, if desired (a few scoops)

Blend until smooth.  Enjoy!

Why I love it? It is packed with nutrients!!  But just as important, it tastes good!  This combination of fruits & veggies lets me get the most spinach, without it having a noticeable taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment