Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Simple Guacamole


Guacamole- for me at least, this has been an acquired taste.  I didn't grow up eating it, and while I can still see why some don't like it, it has certainly been growing on me!  I like trying to get healthy fats (like avocado) in our diet, and this is a great way.  I have used this "recipe" as a topping for dishes like enchiladas, as a snack for dipping chips in, and as part of a layered dip.  It has worked great for all of these, and it is EASY!

I put recipe in quotation marks because I don't measure anything in this... it's more of a "suggestion" than an actual recipe.  I thought of it when I was looking up how to make guacamole, and realized that most of the ingredients (besides avocado) are the ingredients in salsa- which I normally have on hand. It's hardly more difficult than just mashing the avocado and adding salsa! (Here's the link to a ridiculously easy Blender Salsa recipe, if you haven't already tried it!)

I also like making it this way instead of buying it because it makes a great amount for one dinner (or snack).  I would never be able to use up a store-bought container of guacamole before it went bad, so I like being able to make it in small batches like this!  Plus it is so fresh- just make it a little before serving (to give the flavors time to combine), and you don't need to worry about it turning brown or needing preservatives.

Simple Guacamole
Printable version here

1 ripe avocado
Salsa- about 1 tablespoon, or to taste
Lime juice (bottled or fresh)- about 1 teaspoon
Salt- about 1/4 tsp.

Cut open avocado and remove pit.  In a small bowl, mash avocado with a fork.  Mix in remaining ingredients to taste.  Chill until serving.

*This will turn dark after a while, so eat it within a few hours of making it.

(If you want to see pictures of how to cut open an avocado, here's one site I found.)

Why I love it?  It's quick, uses ingredients I normally have on-hand (besides the avocado), costs under $1, and is a healthy condiment/snack!

1 comment:

  1. You should link to your salsa from this recipe

    ReplyDelete