Monday, January 7, 2013

Crockpot Beef Stroganoff


Last week when I was making my menu/shopping list, I was feeling bored with my normal recipes (not sure how that's possible!), so I found a few new ones to try.  This one, Crockpot Beef Stroganoff, was an instant hit!  It was easy and turned out PERFECTLY!  I will most definitely make it again!

I found it on my most trusted food blog, Mel's Kitchen Cafe! :) The only things I changed were to reduce the recipe size a little (I only used about 1 1/2 pounds of stew meat, and a little less of the other ingredients), and omit the mushrooms.

Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
Printable version here

2-3 pounds stew meat (or a chuck roast, cubed)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1/4 tsp. garlic salt (or garlic powder)
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tbsp. ketchup
1/3 cup flour
6 tbsp. water (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp.)
4-8 ounces sliced mushrooms (optional)
1/2 cup light or regular sour cream

1. Place beef, salt, pepper, onion, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, broth, and ketchup into a slow cooker.  Stir to combine.  Cook for 7-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.

2. About 30 minutes before serving, combine the flour and water in a small bowl, whisking vigorously to combine well.  The roux should be thick but still pourable, so add a tablespoon of water at a time to thin, if needed.  Pour the flour mixture into the slow cooker, whisking quickly to mix in the roux with the stew meat and juices to avoid lumps.  Add the mushrooms (if using) and stir.  Cook on high for 30 minutes.

3. Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream right before serving.  Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes.

*Freezable Meal: (I haven't tried this, but the original source from the recipe lists these instructions) The leftovers of the stroganoff can be frozen.  Store the leftovers in a freezer-safe container and then thaw in the refrigerator (usually takes about a day) and reheat over medium-low heat in a saucepan on the stove.

Why I love it? It was SUPER easy and delicious!  The meat was tender and the sauce turns out perfectly!  It is flavorful, creamy, and nicely thickened.  The fact that it is freezable is an added bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment