Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup



I found this recipe several years ago on the back of a can of refried beans.  I no longer buy refried beans (since they're so easy to make!), but I remain grateful to Rosarita® for this recipe!  It's basically a creamy bean soup with chicken & tomatoes.  The original recipe also calls for corn (I just skip it since I'm not a fan!).

It's easy to make, and pretty adaptable.  This size recipe makes enough for my family of 2 adults, 1 medium-sized kid, and 2 kids with tiny/picky appetites.  I'm sure it could easily be doubled.  Enjoy!

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Printable version here

1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes (with added green chilies if desired), undrained
2 cups (or 1-14.5 oz. can) chicken broth
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans (or 2 cups homemade beans)
1/2 cup corn (optional)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken

Topping suggestions:
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
Grated cheese

1. Combine half of tomatoes, plus broth and beans in a medium saucepan.  Heat over medium heat for a couple minutes.  [If you want the soup smoother than it is now- remove from heat and puree with either an immersion blender or a regular blender, remembering to keep the center cap off your blender lid.] 

2. Resume heating the soup over medium heat.  Add remainder of the tomatoes and the corn; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add chicken; cook a few more minutes to heat through. 

3. Taste for seasoning- you can add a pinch of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. for added flavor.  Divide into bowls and top as desired.

Why I love it? It is a very fast recipe to throw together!  It's also low in fat, and high in protein and fiber!  Last time I made this I skipped the tortilla chips and served it with quesadillas instead.  It was delicious!

5 comments:

  1. Yum, sounds so delicious I want to try it right now! You should tell your sister about this recipe since it's low in fat, but good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, that's who I mainly posted this for! :) I called her right after eating it to tell her about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was delicious! I substituted the can of tomatoes for a can of Rotel (that I pureed). All I can say is: ROTEL IS SPICY!!! It was almost painful to eat because it was so hot, but it was still so yummy! In fact, I'm sweating a little bit... I'll definitely be making this again and again. Maybe 1/2 Rotel and 1/2 Mild Rotel next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think this could be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole, I feel like it would freeze fine, I just haven't tried it yet. I will try to soon though!

    ReplyDelete