Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup



I found this recipe several years ago on the back of a can of refried beans.  I no longer buy refried beans (since they're so easy to make!), but I remain grateful to Rosarita® for this recipe!  It's basically a creamy bean soup with chicken & tomatoes.  The original recipe also calls for corn (I just skip it since I'm not a fan!).

It's easy to make, and pretty adaptable.  This size recipe makes enough for my family of 2 adults, 1 medium-sized kid, and 2 kids with tiny/picky appetites.  I'm sure it could easily be doubled.  Enjoy!

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Printable version here

1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes (with added green chilies if desired), undrained
2 cups (or 1-14.5 oz. can) chicken broth
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans (or 2 cups homemade beans)
1/2 cup corn (optional)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken

Topping suggestions:
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
Grated cheese

1. Combine half of tomatoes, plus broth and beans in a medium saucepan.  Heat over medium heat for a couple minutes.  [If you want the soup smoother than it is now- remove from heat and puree with either an immersion blender or a regular blender, remembering to keep the center cap off your blender lid.] 

2. Resume heating the soup over medium heat.  Add remainder of the tomatoes and the corn; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add chicken; cook a few more minutes to heat through. 

3. Taste for seasoning- you can add a pinch of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. for added flavor.  Divide into bowls and top as desired.

Why I love it? It is a very fast recipe to throw together!  It's also low in fat, and high in protein and fiber!  Last time I made this I skipped the tortilla chips and served it with quesadillas instead.  It was delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Yum, sounds so delicious I want to try it right now! You should tell your sister about this recipe since it's low in fat, but good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, that's who I mainly posted this for! :) I called her right after eating it to tell her about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was delicious! I substituted the can of tomatoes for a can of Rotel (that I pureed). All I can say is: ROTEL IS SPICY!!! It was almost painful to eat because it was so hot, but it was still so yummy! In fact, I'm sweating a little bit... I'll definitely be making this again and again. Maybe 1/2 Rotel and 1/2 Mild Rotel next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I made this again with Mild Rotel. It was perfect! It still has spiciness, but it didn't burn my mouth. It was wonderful and SO easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think this could be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, I feel like it would freeze fine, I just haven't tried it yet. I will try to soon though!

    ReplyDelete