Thursday, June 7, 2012

Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup


This recipe is based on one I found on allrecipes.com.  I liked the idea of it, but it was way too unhealthy for an everyday dinner- it called for a stick of butter and 2 cups of heavy cream!  My version of it is much lighter, but still creamy & delicious.  I use whatever kind of milk I have on-hand, which is typically nonfat. 


I've only ever made it with this kind of rice mix, which I've been able to find in several grocery stores:




Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Printable version here

1 6-oz. box long grain & wild rice mix (Uncle Ben's)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups shredded cooked chicken

1. Cook rice as directed in 2 quart pan.

2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan on medium heat.  Whisk in flour and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until bubbly.  Slowly whisk in milk and broth.  Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened slightly. 

3. Add the cooked rice and chicken to the broth, and heat through.  Add salt & pepper to taste.  Serves: 4-6

Why I love it?  It's relatively quick to throw together, and we all like it.  It's really healthy for being a creamy soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment