Thursday, May 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Pie


I made this pie tonight for my husband's 30th birthday (and then realized that the last time I made it was his 29th birthday!).  He's a fan of chocolate & peanut butter.  This has a graham cracker crust and a creamy, peanut-buttery filling.  After plating the pie, I drizzled homemade chocolate syrup over each piece. Daniel (my almost-8 year old) asked me tonight if we could have this as his birthday dessert next month, too.  I told him that I promise I won't wait another year again to make it!













This is what I used to decorate the top of the pie- it's so easy to do, and makes your foods look that much better! Wilton Dessert Decorator (I got mine at JoAnn's with a 40% off coupon, or here it is on Amazon for $11)

I also love it for filling deviled eggs, it makes that go so fast!

Peanut Butter Pie
Printable version here

Crust:
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers (about 10 whole crackers)
3 tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

Filling:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened (light cream cheese is okay)
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup heavy cream, whipped (or 2 cups whipped topping)

Optional toppings: more whipped cream, chocolate sauce, chopped peanuts

1. Combine crust ingredients; press into a 9-inch pie plate.  Bake at 350º for 9 minutes.  Cool.

2. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.  Fold in whipped cream.  Gently spoon into crust.  Top with more whipped cream around edge and chopped peanuts, if desired.  Refrigerate until serving. Drizzle with chocolate sauce at time of serving.

Yield: 8 servings.

Why I love it? It's pretty quick to throw together, and I like that you can make it several hours before serving, and just keep it in the fridge.  The peanut butter filling is just so smooth and flavorful.  That combined with the crunchy peanuts on top, the chocolate drizzle, and the graham crackers & whipped cream- mmmm!  Plus, while it's not "healthy" by any means, I did lighten up the original recipe by about 50%.  So go ahead, have some pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment