Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Soft Onion Sandwich Rolls


 Last week I made Sloppy Joes, and wanted to find a good bun recipe to go with it. Thanks to Allrecipes.com and their valuable rating system, I was able to find a great recipe on the first try! :) My version is a little different than the original- mine are made with a stand mixer (not a bread machine), I skipped the instant potato flakes, and I used a different kind of flour.

Tonight I'm making the buns again to go with homemade hamburgers. (Original recipe here)


Soft Onion Sandwich Rolls

Printable version here

Dry ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour (I use 1 1/2 c. each whole wheat bread flour & white bread flour)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. onion powder
3 tbsp. dried minced onion
2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast (1 pkg. = 2 1/4 tsp.)

Wet ingredients
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. lukewarm water
3 tbsp. butter, melted


For topping
1 egg white
Sesame seeds (optional)

1. Place all dry ingredients (except sesame seeds) in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Next, slowly add in all wet ingredients. Knead for 8 minutes with dough hook (speed 2 of a KitchenAid mixer).

2. Place rounded ball of dough in a large, lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 60 minutes, or until doubled.

3. Take dough out of bowl; press down lightly on it. Divide into 8 equal pieces, and form into balls. Gently flatten the balls until they are 4 inches in diameter. Place on a greased baking sheet, and cover loosely with plastic wrap (that has been sprayed with nonstick spray). Let rise again until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 350º. While preheating, whisk together the egg white and 1 tbsp. water in a cup. Brush over the tops of the risen rolls, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown (mine take about 17 minutes). Cool slightly, then slice horizontally before serving. (Best served the same day. They were still fairly good the next day, if toasted first.)

Dough just after first rise


To shape the rolls, I kind of tuck the edges underneath & pinch them together (on right). Then I flip it over, and press down gently until it's the right size (left)


Dinner!












Why I love this? These rolls are very soft, but are sturdy enough for something like a hamburger. We've also eaten them with sloppy joes and roast beef & au jus. The onion taste is just right- it's subtle, but enough to make them flavorful! They are SO much better than store-bought buns. I think I've converted myself to homemade buns!

3 comments:

  1. that looks so yummy!
    I'm a new follower, from diaper swappers!
    Hope you'll follow back!
    Heather
    www.lifewiththestevens.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, now I finally figured out how I found your blog... diaper swappers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. trying these today...I'm mixing the dough with my bread machine hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete