Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chili



This is the chili recipe I've used for years. After I tried it, there was no turning back to canned chili. ;) Sometimes I use a little less meat, and sometimes I use less chili powder, depending on how spicy I feel like making it.  My favorite thing to serve this with is, of course, corn bread!

Chili
Printable version here


1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
Diced red bell pepper (optional)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tbsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can beans (chili or pinto beans)

Cook beef, onion, red pepper & garlic in 3-quart saucepan until beef is brown; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans (rinse and drain the beans first, unless they're chili beans). Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness. Serves 4.

Why I love it? It's easy to make, inexpensive, and filling (lots of protein & fiber). Plus, my whole family will eat it! It tastes so much better to me than canned chili, mainly because of the texture. It's not mushy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment