Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole

I got this recipe several years ago from Dave's family. I was asked to bring it for Thanksgiving, and I have since fallen in love with it!! I altered the original recipe a little bit- I reduced the sugar (it used to taste more like a dessert than a side dish), and I learned to roast the potatoes instead of steaming them. That really brings their flavor out, as well as bringing out their natural sugars (and reducing the need for added sugar).

This size batch is enough for a big Thanksgiving dinner- last year I brought it to our 25 person gathering! There were so many dishes that everyone had just a little of everything. I have also cut the recipe in half just to make for a normal dinner here at home.


Sweet Potato Casserole
Printable version here

Filling ingredients
4 large sweet potatoes
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. butter, melted

Topping ingredients
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
3 tbsp. cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup pecan pieces, chopped

1. To cook the sweet potatoes, preheat oven to 400º. Rinse & dry sweet potatoes, place on a foil-lined baking sheet, and roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours (flipping them halfway), until tender. Let them cool, then take off the peel and cut into chunks. Mash until desired consistency. (I use a potato masher.) *If desired, you can peel, cube, and steam the potatoes instead.

2. In a large bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, beaten egg, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2 tbsp. melted butter, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.

3. In a food processor (or by hand), combine 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Next pulse in the cubed butter until it is well dispersed and in small pieces. Stir in the chopped pecans, then sprinkle over the top of the potatoes.

4. Bake at 350º for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and topping is crisp and lightly browned.

Make-ahead: I have made this casserole ahead of time. I make the sweet potato mixture, put it in the baking dish, then cover & refrigerate. I make the topping mixture in a separate bowl, and put it on the potatoes just before baking (so it doesn't get soggy). Take the casserole out of the refrigerator an hour or so before baking to help take the chill off. Bake as directed, increasing the cooking time if necessary.

Why I love it? I think it's the yummiest thing you can do to sweet potatoes! I like this as much, if not more, than pumpkin pie. Besides being delicious, it's packed with vitamin A! :)

2 comments:

  1. I can attest to its "deliciousness"! It's a must-have dish for Thanksgiving in our family!
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I chose this to bring to Thanksgiving! It was a hit with everyone!

    ReplyDelete