Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sugar Cookies

Recently I tried out a new sugar cookie recipe, and I was really happy with how it turned out! The cookie recipe is from OurBestBites website- they have tons of good recipes!!

As far as the frosting goes, I never measure when I'm making a cookie frosting- I basically put powdered sugar in a bowl, add milk a little bit at a time, stir, add food coloring, and sometimes I add a little (maybe 1/2 tablespoon) corn syrup to help it be a little glossy. Just stir and add things (either sugar or milk) until it gets the consistency you're looking for. After frosting, it sets up pretty quickly, so I am able to stack the cookies.

Update 12/11- I made a half batch (again), and it made 20 small/medium sized cookies. This was what we made:






Sugar Cookies (Our Best Bites)
Printable version here

1 cup butter (no substitutions), softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract (or vanilla)
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg & extract and stir until combined.

2. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Slowly add to the butter mixture; mix until combined.

3. Divide the dough into two halves, and put each one on a sheet of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Flatten it so it's about the shape of a frisbee, then wrap it all the way. Place in the fridge for 1-2 hours (or less in the freezer). Your dough should be well-chilled so it can be rolled & cut out easier. (You can also make the dough several days in advance, and keep in the fridge.)

4. Remove from fridge, and roll out on either a pastry mat or a surface that has been lightly sprinkled with flour. Roll out to about 1/4" thick then cut. Place cookies on a cookie sheet (I always use parchment on my sheets), then bake at 350ยบ for 8-12 minutes (I did 10). The baking time depends on the size of your cookies, plus how soft or crispy you like them. Remove onto cooling racks and let cool completely. Frost if desired.

Why I love it? The recipe is easy (I made a half batch, because I didn't need a ton of cookies), and they turn out delicious. Exactly how sugar cookies are supposed to taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment