Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies


I don't know about you, but I don't think I will ever run out of cookie recipes to try.  I have several that I like, but that doesn't stop me from looking for more!  I found this one on a blog I found via Pinterest.  The pictures looked enticing, and I like that it has both raisins and chocolate.  They did not disappoint!!  They were soft, chewy, and full of flavor.  This is one recipe I don't plan to tinker with- it is perfect just as it is!

As far as why the recipe calls for you to chill it for 2+ hours before baking, that would be to help the texture be just right- because I know that a warmer dough is more likely to spread.  These don't spread much which helps keep them thick & chewy.  If you don't have 2 hours to wait, you could divide the dough into 2 smaller sections and refrigerate that way, or you could scoop the cookies onto the baking sheet and refrigerate the whole thing- just make sure it's thoroughly chilled before using.  The website I found this on said that you can make the dough up to 1 day in advance.

Recipe source: Crunchy Creamy Sweet blog via Smitten Kitchen

Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Printable version here

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened to room temperature
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups oats (preferably old fashioned)
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1.  In a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer), beat butter for 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar and cream until fluffy and light in color, scraping down the bowl as necessary.  Add egg and vanilla and mix well.

2.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt).  With the mixer speed on low, add these dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and beat until combined.

3. Stir in the oats, raisins, and chocolate chips.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. (So plan ahead!)

4. Preheat oven to 350º.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly grease).  Scoop the cookie dough onto the sheet.  Each cookie should be about 1 1/2 tablespoons (I use my medium cookie scoop and fill it a little less than full).

5.  Bake for 10 minutes, or until slightly underdone in the middle yet browned on the edges.  Let them cool on the sheet for 5 minutes. (They will finish baking this way)  Transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: About 3 dozen cookies

Why I love it? I love how full it is of raisins and chocolate chips!  My husband isn't a big raisin (or oatmeal) fan, but he loved these and said they reminded him of chocolate covered raisins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment